Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: This Proves It

As the line stage is SE neither connection will confer the potential benefits of balanced (differential) operation. You have SE connection throughout which just happens to have an XLR connector at one end of either cable.

If you connected the DAC via its balanced outputs to the balanced amplifier then this connection would be balanced and reject noise picked up via the cable in the manner described by other respondents to this post. Obviously you would then have no way of controlling volume if the DAC has no such control. However even if this can be overcome by controlling volume from, say, a player application, there is still no guarantee that you will get better sound over the SE connection especially as the line stage may provide subjective benefits ( so far I have not found direct DAC/power amp connection to offer unalloyed benefits despite the logic that it should sound better).

Speaking generally, balanced connection v. SE seems to depend upon the success of the implementation of either and results that run counter to what is expected may be the outcome in practice. It seems to require a suck it and see approach.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: This Proves It - PAR 01:31:05 10/23/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.