Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Help with Rotel RB-990BX!

I've been using this amp for several years without trouble. A few days ago, I was trying out some new speaker cable (lamp cord) and made the mistake of trying to switch the cable out while the amp was powered up. After a few minutes, one channel went out. Opening up the amp, I found both fuses blown on the left side, and a little research found that I'd stumbled into a documented pitfall - either the lamp cord had a short in it, or I'd shorted the terminals when I was fumbling with it, and blown the fuses.

So I got a couple of quick-acting fuses of the right value and reinstalled them. powered up the amp with no load and the fuses held. I hooked everything up carefully this morning, using the old speaker cables that I've had in place for years (with the power off) and switched it on. Still no output from the left side, but a little crackle in the speakers on that side when I powered up and powered off.

Should I have used slow-blow fuses? Have I fried an output? I tried switching the speaker wires and sure enough, the left speaker works just fine but there's no output from the left side of the amp.

Also: my preamp is a Fisher CC-3300, a pretty decent solid-state model. Is it possible the preamp is the problem? Unfortunately I don't have anything in my stable right now with pre-outs that would let me test this theory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - Help with Rotel RB-990BX! - Roypercy 11:25:58 10/18/16 (14)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.