Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Tube preamp sizzle then thump. Shut down the amp..

No music was playing, and the volume control was at minimum.
SO no music playing. Suddenly a sizzle sound and a medium thump.
I tried to play music, nothing. Checked the amp and it was off, no lights.
I switched the DAC IC to another preamp, and after a few minutes of fooling around at the amp (Bryston 4B-SST²) with the power cord and on/off switch, the amp came back on with no damage.

So... I am assuming the tube preamp lost a tube with some major fail? Causing the amp on down the line to self protect and shut down big time. (the amp is fine and I am now playing music.. whew!)

I wonder if the preamp power supply went? or is it like 99% just a tube going to tube heaven?

This just happened.. So no I have NOT pulled it out and inspected the tubes.
I have alternate new tubes.. I had just replaced them about a year ago. And after, once in awhile the preamp would make some 'tube ouch' noises.. But only a few times, then the scratchy noise would go away.

Just wondering. I would hate to have to send the VAC Standard back for repair...

I do not need other advice.. just a thought about 'is it a tube? or probably something in the power supply?'

So yeah I am asking for reassurance it is just a tube... Not a $1,000 repair bill...
I will find out myself at least within a few days.. I have to get up the energy to remove the preamp from the rack, take off the cover, change the tubes, test it... yadda yadda...

Only at times when something goes bad do i again realize what a panic I would be in with NO MUSIC....
I have plenty of sources. And even a few preamps.. But only one amp.
When I could not get the amp back on.. I was staring at weeks with no music... Yikes.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Tube preamp sizzle then thump. Shut down the amp.. - Smelly_Socks 10:10:43 10/12/16 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.