Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Stereo vs mono subwoofer output and the Parasound P5 preamp

Thanks for the advice, Erik but it's too late, I've already spent years getting things to where I like them. '-)

I've gone from a single, passive, down-firing driver/radiator to a single, passive, ported, front-firing driver to a single, powered, sealed, front-firing driver to a pair of powered, sealed, front-firing drivers with built-in DSP. I've tried subs in corners, front walls, back walls, side walls, inboard and outboard of the mains, built-in subwoofer speaker-level and line-level cross-overs, and every possible combination therein. I've read books and articles and forum discussions and used acoustic modeling to learn what I can about speaker placement. After all that, I believe that I now have a set up that sounds about as good as I can get without using external cross-overs or DSP. The subwoofers compliment, not dominate, the mains.

But it's that last bit of refinement that I'm after and am wanting to get other perspectives on integrating dual subwoofers: stereo vs mono?

Apparently Parasound believes that dual mono subwoofers are all that is needed for the cross-over feature in a preamp costing $1100. I'm wondering how much more money is needed to get stereo subwoofer capabilities and is the expense worth it?

Regards,
Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.