Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

a correction, to use the Active crossover you would need to bypasss the passive LP crossover that is inside

the Base Module. At 70Hz low-pass in to it you are still not High-pass filtering out the mains module's pass-band down to 40Hz nor the large amounts of power down to ELF being fed into it.

As I read it the EOS design has difficulty playing real LOUD, because the smaller bass driver in the main module is being driven into over-excursion (overload distortion) below its port's tuning frequency. IE signals below 40 or so Hz. There is no 35-40Hz HP filter inside the main module.

To put it another way, the original design has a flaw. A high-power FR signal is being fed to the ported main module tuned to 40Hz. ELF signals below that are putting the main module into overload.

On reflection stay with 70Hz but add in active 4LR High Pass at 70 Hz. This will eliminate the Main Module's problem with signals below its port tuning. This will increase the system's headroom / peak loudness. Which was likely your initial objective with bi-amping

BUT you also MUST remove the LP crossover that is inside the Base Module. It is probably set to 55Hz or a bit higher, and it may not be steep.

Adding these two LP filters in series - as I believe you are still doing - is likely giving you a deep notch somewhere between 40 and 70 Hz, unless your room has a peak which cancels it, which is unlikely.

Next, If you have the funds and the DBX unit is out of warranty, I would also convert the 40Hz ELF filter option to 20 Hz. The benefit here is less overload from frequencies below 25 Hz. And once again more system headroom.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 10/04/16 10/04/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.