Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Perhaps that is why I find the adjustment of frequency (now at 70 HZ) and the .. adjustments .. very finicky"

Tim, wow, thank you very much for your well considered response that integrated the Stereophile tech info. I do appreciate it. Please note that the model reviewed in Stereophile has external crossovers, mine has internal crossovers in both the top and bottom modules.

One quick and perhaps painful point (for all of the work you did), as I noted in my original post I am only using the low pass output of the active crossover. The mid/tweeter speaker is getting full frequency spectrum.

I tried running both top and bottom full frequency by attaching the mAmps directly without an active cross-over, but when the bass module is run without being attached to the upper module the bass trys to play the entire frequency spectrum and sounds like crap. That is why I got the active crossover - it needs the low pass filter. I don't know why/how the bass module's response changes so drastically when it is connected to the upper module.

One thing that has changed (I am tuning still) is that I have the dbx crossover set to 0 db gain. I might have it modified to bypass the gain pots entirely. Since the mAmps are connected balanced and the Jolida single-ended I believe their is 6 db more signal to the bass amps. I am now crossing over at around 80 hz (tuning).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.