Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Bi-Amping - Horizontal and Vertical

Hi Lifer,

Interesting way to bi-amp, I'm glad you like the results so much. I'm curious why you chose to use a low pass filter. As I read your post, the woofer's original low pass filter is still in place, or am I mistaken?

If so, there are a couple of considerations:

- If you use an active high pass filter before the tube amps you greatly improve the dynamic range of that amp, since you are removing the largest part of the voltage swing which is always in the bass. Of course, not having the woofers in the circuit gets you some improvement by reducing the current draw, but the voltage swing remains. This may help stiffen up the amp.

- If you use no active filters at all you would maintain the original phase matching between woofer and mid/tweeter. By adding another crossover layer in addition to the woofer's low-pass you are probably getting a 6th to 8th order crossover instead of the original 2nd to 4th. Or am I misunderstanding that the woofer had no such filter?

If in doubt, I strongly encourage you to look into Room EQ Wizard or OmniMic to get detailed measurements of each section and examine the crossover region in detail.

Best,

Erik

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.