Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Not enough power from Phono Preamp?

I have looked but cannot find the relevant needed specification, input sensitivity, for this very basic phonostage. All I can find of relevance is that the the maximum output appears to be +10dB at 1% distortion which is not, how can I say, impressive. Given the cartridge's rated output of 4mV (nothing unusual BTW) I suspect that your diagnosis amy be correct.

The Schiit has a rated output of 320mW into 300 ohms (the Senn's impedence) which should be fine. Actually the Sennheisers are really not all that difficult to drive even given their high impedence unless you are talking portable devices. I use 600s which are broadly similar to the 650s.

So I think it may be worth your while looking at some other phonostages even if there is a more substantial cost involved.

However having the volume control at 2 o'clock is not , in itself, a problem. But if you are still feeling that there is something important missing, then it could be.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Not enough power from Phono Preamp? - PAR 16:27:13 09/23/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.