Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Preamp/Power Amp Buffer

I have a wonderful multichannel all-analog system with a Marguiles Audio preamp feeding a quintet of Outlaw 200 monoblocks, whose sound I am in love with. Recently I bought an Audio Research SP6A preamp, similar to the one I used to own. My purpose is to downsize back to stereo preparatory to downsizing my apartment in my old age.

Here's the problem: the outlaws have a very low 10K impedance ... too low for the SP-6a's 1k output impediance at 20hz. The result is a sharp bass rolloff which destroys the sound.

I have Thiel 3.5's whose equalizer takes care of this problem, as it goes between preamp and amp and incidentally has a high input impedance and a low output impedance. In effect, it serves as a impedance buffer between the gear while also equalizing the sound for the Thiel 3.5's.

I would like to use the preamp/power amp combo with more conventional speakers. I am loath to give up the monoblocks, although that may be the final requirement. So the question: does anyone here know of a neutral active pass-through buffer that could solve this problem. Or am I stuck buying a tube or ss power amp with at least a 20k input impedance.
Harry

Edits: 09/09/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - Preamp/Power Amp Buffer - theaudiohiffle 13:46:30 09/09/16 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.