Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Latest hifimediy Tripath T4 amp module

I have a Topping TP-60, very nice older tripath amp. Uses dual-mono power supply setup, very solidly made. Have a look at the picture. This is a lot of amplifier for $200 retail. Detailed, somewhat tubey-sounding (slightly sweet) with good bass extension and control (within the limited amount of power provided- this is not a giant Krell, Pass or Levinson arc-welder)

Big analog amps have considerable constant current consumption, they need much larger capacitor reservoirs than a switching amp which has almost no idle current drain. Even preamps with energy-consuming shunt regulators will want big capacitor banks. Switching amps are a different animal, and while they do need current reservoirs the requirements are different. With a switching amp you want some ampacity but more importantly you want the lowest source impedance power supply you can get at the frequencies that the switch uses. That doesn't always translate to giant electrolytics.

Very neat job there on the build.

Science doesn't care what you believe.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.