Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Odd -- I had exactly the opposite reaction comparing those 2 pres. (nt)

Yes, the Citation 11 (though I do not have visual memory of the walnut case). To be fair, my "comparison" was separated by a time of perhaps weeks, maybe longer. On the other hand, the equipment and the music used were pretty much identical BUT FOR the amps -- the Hafler was played through a Hafler amp, but I do not recall which amps were used with the HK (I got to hear it with several different amps).

Further info of uncertain value: I am a tube-o-phile (note the Irish descent, like O'Bama) as you know, and I have been since my first personally owned system in the late 1960s. During the mid-1970s - early 1980s, I tried without success to move into the modern age, spurred by audio writers of the time, by engineer colleagues where I taught (who, along with audio salespersons, repeatedly told me, with deprecatingly snide giggles, that I had grown addicted to certain flavors of tube-design distortion), by the gradual decline in numbers and quality of vacuum-tubes on the market, by frequent assurances that ss designs were getting better every month, and so on. Perhaps sensing a mark, local retailers put a large amount of equipment at my disposal, and for a considerable time I became quite product-literate from 1st-hand experience -- much more so than I am today. I did not much like transistor sound, finding it generally flat or 2-dimensional, often hard, bright and/or metallic or edgy, though almost always better in the bass. Those words may seem exaggerated, and they are, a bit (for rhetorical effect), but the phenomena bothered me more strongly than they do today because, I suspect, my hearing was then more acute (in 1970, tests showed that I could hear a 25 kHz signal! -- today, probably not half that). Among the better-sounding ss pieces I heard long enough to form opinions were some by Meridian, Naim, Threshold, and, yes, the HK Citation 11 (though I would not say that about its partnering amp of the time, the Citation 12). I would not place the Hafler pre in that group; to me it sounded more like the general rest of the ss crowd.

Let me acknowledge that I speak for myself only, uncorroborated by and not relying on square-wave measurements or any others notwithstanding that unlike some I highly value scientific measurement (and find it, e.g., distressingly, idiotically and lazily absent from most common vinyl front-end assessments). Further, my evaluation of ss equipment over the years has doubtless been biased by my antipathy to those particular negatives mentioned above, so that were they not there, there's no telling what other differences among the pieces might have moved me to different conclusions.

So yeah, given my general sense that you are a serious and thoughtful listener not to mention someone with whom I often agree, I indeed find our very different rankings of the 2 pres in question quite odd.

But never doubt that I prize you much more highly than I do the Hafler.

Jeremy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.