Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Thanks guys! Fixed the Denon! Pics

It seems to have been the relay. I opened the thing up and there it was right in the middle of the amp board. I had to remove the button extenders which actuate the switches placed in the back of the amp that choose the source. That was a PITA because it required a lot of guesswork and as always I ended up removing 15 more things than I needed to. Oh well.

I used the method in the video someone linked me to, using CRC QD Contact Cleaner because I don't have DeOxit.

All I had to do was squeeze on the cap of the relay and it popped right off. You see the bare relay there. A few passes with a double piece of paper soaked in the CRC cleaner took off a bunch of dark stuff from the contact points. Once the paper strip (I cut a wide strip that covered both relay points at the same time) started coming out clean, I snapped the cover back on and reassembled everything.

Now my 80's vintage dining room system is complete! The Denon, a Sony PS-X5 tt and a pair of Thiel 04a speakers. Plus now I know how easy it is to tear one of these things apart! The world of thrift stores has just become an even more fertile ground for treasure hunting!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Thanks guys! Fixed the Denon! Pics - MannyE 18:45:15 08/21/16 (13)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.