Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

McIntosh MA6300

I purchased an MA6300 when it was introduced. As I have posted in the past, the McIntosh MA6300 seems to be an anomaly in the brand's lineup. A McIntosh fan for many years and an owner of the superb MA6500 integrated amp, the MA6300 possesses little, if any, of the typical McIntosh sound.

Instead of the smooth, rich, nonfatiguing, and neutral to slightly warm sonics that one expects from McIntosh, the MA6300 is punishingly bright, harsh, and edgy in the upper midrange and treble.

Before my MA6300 was returned for a refund, I traced the audible torture to the unit's then-new power amplifier design. The preamp section sounded fine when I used it with an Adcom GFA-5503 power amp that is in our theater system.

I have not heard McIntosh's latest models, but thankfully online magazine reviewers have not described the MA6300's sonic traits in any I read about.

In short, don't use the disappointing MA6300 as an example of McIntosh's typical sonic signature.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.