Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Help from M. Samra (long)

ith the phono through the tape op, am I truly bypassing the line stage of the SP8, except for the selector? Is this simpler circuit path the reason for the Mac's improved sound, and the SP8 really now operating as a phono preamp only? (I tried to attach a pic of the SP8 circuit, but couldn't get it to take.

That is correct..You are bypassing the preamp and That allows the signal from the source component phono, cdp, tuner,or whatever component, which is selected on the preamp to be routed to the tape deck input for recording. To play back from the tape deck, or to monitor the recorded signal directly from the tape as it is being recorded, requires a deck with separate record and playback heads, so you then select the monitor or tape position of the preamp's monitor/input or tape/source switch,or whatever similar designation it may have.The sound of the MAC 2105 seemed much more dynamic because you essentially eliminated the preamp section so the signal was being fed directly into the amp.You still had your phono stage,but the line stage was bypassed and just used as a source connector or tie point.

Question 2: Will the mods for the 2105 you suggest make the bass better defined? I love the clarity of the ARC's low end, but like the greater weight and richer tone color of the Mac's low end. If your mods make for better definition in the lows of the 2105, then I may be able to get the best of both worlds, with added benefit of the Mac's reliability and fewer tube worries and expense all the way through the system. Thanks for your time and help.

The mods or upgrades will help all the way thru..New input filter caps and strategic bypass will make the bass tighter,and more controlled and yes,more natural..It will improve the amp from top to bottom.You will still have a slight dynamic loss going thru a linestage but that's true with any added stages in the audio loop.You may want to upgrade the components in the Sp8 possibly.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.