Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

845 tube amps

This is not as easy as saying what freq bands will be affected which ways. Sorry to tell you this. The main reason is because there have been so many variations of 300Bs through the past few decades. The original WE 300B had a unique sonic signature. Always described with amazing bass, powerful sound, great mids, but slightly hot treble, the real 300B has morphed into many variants. Not only that factor, system matching is critical.

Output trannies are part of the "system;" this is a very important factor. My Dared VP-845 output tranny only has 4 or 8 Ohm speaker taps on their huge, excellent SE opts. Put a 16 Ohm open baffle driver on this amp and you will not be happy. Put an efficient 4 Ohm full range on the 4 ohm tap and the sound should be amazing. Likewise an 8 ohmer. Consider that if you were used to an 8 watt 300B SE amp, SE 845 amps give up to 22 watt ratings. Damping factor with open baffle drivers is a concern, with respect to bass control. How do you describe the bass with your current amp ?

Also consider the heat of an 845; they make nice cold weather hand warmers. Next, the electric power bill may need concern as 845s are not efficient and require lots of drive in earlier stages. Most important though, is the results are literally unpredictable. My amp may sound great with your speaker. While the Dared is not my favorite amp with my 16 ohm speakers, I do use other PP amps (that do not have 16 ohm outputs) which I do favor. I can still recommend the latest versions of the Dared since they still use those opt trannies. Whether you will prefer the 845 bass or mids is purely up to the forces of equipment synergy...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • 845 tube amps - Interstage Tranny 17:34:01 07/25/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.