Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Help needed: Hashimoto HM3 SUT matching my ZYG Airy3 Cart

It's possible the problem is with your phono stage rather than the SUT. Your cartridge has 0.24-mV rated output, which would be amplified to 4.8-mV with the 1:20 turns-ratio. That is just about the perfect voltage for a moving magnet phono stage. The 1:40 setting amplifies your cartridge output to 9.6-mV, which is rather high and might be causing your phono stage to clip or distort on peaks. After all, you can expect up to 10-times the rated output when playing real records. That means the maximum voltage from the SUT to your phono stage can be as high as 96-mV from transients and loud musical passages.

If you buy the Hashimoto SUT, I'll be very interested to find out what you think of it compared to the 1131. I'm very pleased with my 1131, but if you think the Hashimoto sounds better, I might buy a pair and build my own enclosure. I've just gotten into building kits again and I'm currently working on a tube phono stage. ;-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Help needed: Hashimoto HM3 SUT matching my ZYG Airy3 Cart - John Elison 04:19:42 06/21/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.