Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Curious, please elaborate about TKG vs. Slagle.

You are comparing a transformer (autoformer) volume attenuator to a resistor-based volume attenuator. Sort of apples to oranges except that they both attenuate volume. I believe TKD made both resistor-based attenuators as well as potentiometers, which are a different device and generally thought to be inferior sonically to a discrete resistor based control. Do you know whether yours is a potentiometer or resistor based control?

For the resistor volume attenuator, the switch itself, whether TKD, Khozmo or other types is basically a means to make contact with discrete resistors. The biggest sonic difference will be the type of resistors used. The other thing that may have a smaller effect on the sound is the quality of construction and materials used in the contacts (e.g., silver or gold plating over a base metal). Otherwise, what makes one attenuator better than another are the ergonomics (how it feels when used) and durability.

My preamp has a Shallco switch with Audio Note Tantalum Resistors and sonically it beats both Goldpoint and Endler switches I also have here, although the comparison is not fair since the Shallco is part of a no-gain buffered preamp and the others are simply volume attenuators. I owned a Tom Evans Vibe that used a DACT attenuator (which uses SMDs same as the Goldpoint) and that preamp sounded outstanding, although not as good as my current preamp. The easiest thing might be to try a Goldpoint attenuator or find somewhere to buy the TKD attenuator, not the potentiometer.

Below is a link to a site showing many types of volume controls.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Curious, please elaborate about TKG vs. Slagle. - mitch2 09:50:24 04/26/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.