Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

How well do amps age?

I have a Krell KST 100W amp and KST Pre amp with internal phono stage, all solid state. They date back to 1992. I really wonder how well these guys age. That's 24 years. I notice little things like the channel balance being a bit off but that is also source dependent. Scratchy pots. The left channel cannot be shut off completely, so even with the volume at zero I can still hear music through the left (but not the right) channel. And I have read the capacitors especially can lose their spec qualities over time. What I can't do is go back in time and compare them to a brand new amp. It would be simple enough to simply compare them to new amps on the market but we all know where that might lead!
Along those lines my DAC is also the same vintage, a Theta DS Pro Prime II. I imagine that in addition to component aging the technology of DAC's has improved over the years.
If I decide to shop (listen) around I am most interested in modern integrated solid state amps like the Hegel and Quad with high power outputs and built in DAC's which can also play high res downloads. This is something I have no experience with.
Speakers are Harbeth SHL5+ sources a VPI TT and Musical Fidelity transport. And maybe my Mac Air.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - How well do amps age? - husafreak 16:43:45 02/06/16 (13)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.