Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: LOL! Brand new Krell for $175. Man, those pirates are ballsy!

Using the KRELL logo - and the chassis resembles the Krell KSA-5 headphone amp - just seems like someone is not trying to sell a counterfeit product but is clueless about branding. No one in their right mind would believe that this is actually a Krell product. I think that this represents an idea someone over there had to sell a headphone amp based on the KSA-5 circuit and they made a run of casework with that Krell logo to house the things; they didn't sell well, and so now they have to find new uses for these silly Krell chassis. Rather than a counterfeit of an existing product, I think the things were designed to show they were based on a copy of the KSA-5 circuit- and you can still buy the KSA-5 version of this, as well as KSA-5 -based boards. However- according to Head-Fi the KSA-5 is not really a very good sounding design.

These are actually an OK chassis and the JLH class-a circuit in this specific one is a decent version of that amp- and likely better than the KSA-5 circuit; but having that Krell logo on there really just cheapens the thing to the point of no return.

To look at this thing and draw a conclusion that "all Chinese electronics are junk" is to generalize based on a Western misunderstanding of a product that was the result of a Chinese misunderstanding....

I have seen this same chassis for sale without the Krell logo. You can also buy boards - empty or stuffed- for JLH type amplifiers if you want to house them yourself. FYI these are typically low power designs, 10 watts per channel or so.

For those interested in the JLH class a circuit and it's permutations see http://sound-au.com/tcaas/index.htm
Science doesn't care what you believe.

Edits: 11/27/15 11/27/15 11/27/15 11/27/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.