Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: "Tengu" - extreme MC phono stage

If subjective banter offends avoid this post.

I posted, a few days back, my new super expensive DIY MC stage inspired by Boozhound Labs MC kit. This one featured over $800 of Audio Note caps. I was very pleased with the sound right off the bat and was particularly impressed with the dynamics and detail of sound. I was not prepared for how well this stage would sound 12 hours later. I believe in component burn it and especially with caps and even more especially when they are big expensive and exotic audio caps.

The whole sound of my system, with this new MC stage in place, has lifted to a level I have never heard before. I should have known something great was coming when I heard how good the original Boozhound MC kit was and with the addition of a high-end caps, as the only caps in the audio path, it had to improve.

I'm not going to talk of bass and depth of field etc. but just to say the overall dynamics of my vinyl setup, which includes the new tube MM stage, is off the planet. Yes a $AU1k+ MC stage which runs on batteries, should sound good and thankfully it is a lot better than good. I'm going to build another using copper or tin AN caps. Cheaper than the AU$427 silver puppies.

| retro-thermionic |

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "Tengu" - extreme MC phono stage - mwhouston 19:22:47 09/30/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.