Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Once again the lower end offering sounds better than their premium piece

Once again I find myself preferring the lower end piece of a particular line. This time it's NAD. I bought myself a C275BEE out of frustration several years ago. Already having a NAD C326BEE I figured hey - more SHOULD be better????

Well after two or three years of trying to get this amp to sound right I just gave up. I find myself CONTINUALLY rotating back in the amp section of the humble C326BEE. It just sounds tons better.

After looking at the schematic for the C275BEE I think I figured out why. It's like it was over engineered to death!

I also found this to be true with many of the vintage pieces I once collected. Pioneer, Sansui and even Marantz. Seems the more they try to "improve" or Impress???? the more they just gum up the sound. Their simpler pieces did sound far better.

charles

PS I will be getting my Latino ST-70 tomorrow. Yippie!!!!!!! A modern tube amp setup. I still love my Sherwood.

Edits: 08/16/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Once again the lower end offering sounds better than their premium piece - airtime 08:41:09 08/16/15 (19)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.