Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Putzey's doesn't get it...

"Hi-fi review is a complete shambles. The few magazines that do measure are capable of reprinting
the most frightening distortion spectra from amplifiers and actually call them good. "Objectivity"
got downgraded from "independent of who's doing the observing" to "not favouring particular
brands". For me personally the affair hit rock bottom when in 2009 two reviewers, one Dutch, one
British, independently remarked of the same amplifier (a reasonably priced product with exemplary
performance) that it sounded surprisingly musical for an amp with such low distortion. In the 21st
century audio engineers build equipment while actively avoiding two of the most powerful tools
available to the whole of science and engineering: measurement and error control. The damage to
the audio industry and its reputation in the wider engineering world will remain immeasurable until
we decide to take control."

This tells me that Putzey's is either not aware of or is disregrding what has been found out about human perception and distortion. That the kind of distortion and its PATTERN is far more important than its level. Naturally above a certain level it is coloring the sound but when the pattern is wrong it also colors the sound even if it is THOUGHT that it should not.

Geddes found no significant correlation between THD and IMD and sound quality (in fact it was slightly negative but did not meet 95% confidence).

What he doesn't realize is that the small residual from amps with tons of feedback WILL color the sound in ways that much higher levels of harmonically correct distortion will not. Must be frustrating to him to be fighting with nature that doesn't conform to his "We make it perfect so it must sound perfect and why can't people hear that...dammit!"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - Putzey's doesn't get it... - morricab 01:59:13 08/07/15 (93)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.