Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Should I re-bias Cary SLI-80 when replacing rectifier tubes and/or

the pre-driver (6SN7) tubes? The Cary manual and website instructions say to adjust bias when replacing power tubes. An on-line search showed that a few other manufacturers recommend to also re-bias their amplifiers when replacing rectifier tubes. What do my fellow inmates recommend?

I'm also interested in your opinions regarding the Cary instructions to unplug all speaker and interconnect cables from the amp prior to adjusting the bias.

A very experienced dealer recommends in his on-line instructions for setting tube bias that speaker cables remain connected. He has carried Cary equipment and other manufacturers. I don't want or mean to start a conflict thing here, I only want to ensure that I don't shorten the life of my equipment and get the most accurate bias setting for my amp.

I've only had the Cary for a year, so I'm just starting to do some tube rolling. Thanks!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Should I re-bias Cary SLI-80 when replacing rectifier tubes and/or - Terry P 14:49:57 07/24/15 (16)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.