Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Replacement for Dynaco A470 Xfmr not as expected

If you want to pick nits, a true "Williamson Amplifier" would be just as designed by ETF Williamson, as described in the Wireless World articles, complete with specifications for the construction of the output transformers. It could use KT66, 6L6, 5881, or 807 tubes, triode wired, in the output stage.

Equally valid is to use the term to describe the driver stages, especially if they use 6J5 or 6SN7 tubes with 47k plate loads at about 5mA plate current per triode. That driver can swing enough clean volts to drive PP 2A3's, 300B's (if only at lower plate volts), KT88's, 6550's, or EL34's, as well as the 6L6-family types, with enough left over for NFB.

I suppose you could call the general topology a "Williamson" if it has a single-ended triode voltage amp > cathodyne phase splitter > differential driver > push-pull outputs (whether UL or triode). See the "Einstein Amplifier" for an example (http://www.tubecad.com/2006/07/blog0073.htm).

I don't think there is one accepted definition of what constitutes a "Williamson Amplifier." But I like the idea of differentiating between a true Williamson (as published by Mr. Williamson) and a "Williamson-style" amp.

FWIW...
--

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Replacement for Dynaco A470 Xfmr not as expected - rongon 13:31:20 07/01/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.