Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Amplifier search, continued...

Some of you have contributed recently to my quest for a new power amp for my main system. Previously, I had listed one or two Class D amps, a few of Class-A/B, mid to high powered amps, and one or two Class A, used animals as well.

Lately, my intrigue has shifted back into tubes. While the idea of high "horsepower/small package" f a Class D was appealing, within the last few days, my considerations have steered me back to the tube market. Given my love for the old ARC D76A I had to sell before moving State-side (which itself, as my first used tube amp, came its own sonic revelations as well as age-related shortcomings), I've come to realize that a new DIY tube kit might satisfy my need to get my hands dirty, while giving me the piece of mind/reliability of a new amp.

My latest amplifier very-short list (cost revised as well)…

Transcendent Audio “The Beast” OTL mono-blocks (cost is somewhat of a consideration at +$2K to +$4k, as it is way out of my “buy it now” range…) and the compatibility factor to drive my Adire DDRs (they have a rather ”interesting” impedance/phase plot) is brought into question.

Bob Latino’s VTA M-125 mono-blocks. The power is there (being a KT-88/6550 based amp), as is the price (more in line with “attainable sooner” rather than “put off the saving for the new house”).

My original budget was only about the $4-500 dollar range. While I still am a cheapskate, I COULD stretch to the $1500 mark, with $2k as a very ABSOLUTE maximum…

I welcome ANY other thoughts and opinions on this…

Cheers,

Dman
Analog Junkie

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Amplifier search, continued... - Dman 09:28:06 02/23/15 (78)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.