Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

If you like your Class D amp, you can keep your Class D amp..

Meanwhile, I'll stick with well engineered tube gear, thank you very much. Every so often, I'll try listening to a Class D amp to see if they have gotten better. They have, BUT, they still do not present music as well as properly engineered tube amps. The best sounding Class D I've heard so far is the Yamaha MX-D1, followed by the N-Core. While they did have some positive aspects, compared to tubes, they lack depth to the sound, and the midrange and treble just do not sound right compared to tubes.

I found this link which presents an argument as to why Class D falls short. I also realize there are some of you who are charter members of KGB/FSB wing of the class D fan club, and don't take kindly to any other viewpoint. However, have not seen any valid counter arguments against the link yet.

Here is another link which goes into some reasons why tubes are still highly valued for audio. Check out the side bar about noise with the 6AU6 vs. JFET.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/audiovideo/the-cool-sound-of-tubes

" Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you"

Satchel Paige

Edits: 01/01/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - If you like your Class D amp, you can keep your Class D amp.. - Freo-1 14:51:54 01/01/15 (237)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.