Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Cool running Krell KSA 100

I have an original Krell ksa 100 that was barely used over the years. The sound is great with no issues. My preamp is a new Audible Illusions 3B and I am powering Hales Revelation 3 speakers which show about 4 ohms to the amp. These speakers need a good amp like Krell. Here's my issue: My old Krell KAV 250, which was NOT a pure class A amp, ran very hot to the touch with this same system. My newly acquired KSA 100, which runs pure class A , never gets that warm. I had read from most people that this beast could heat a room. When I put my hand near the bottom back, where the internal fans are blowing "down" on the heat sinks, I can feel some heat, but nowhere near what the KAV 250 was producing. One side of the KSA does run warmer than the other side, but no issue with the sound. But the lack of heat overall is not what I was expecting. I realize that many complain about the excessive heat from these things, but I'm not getting that, and I usually play my vinyl somewhat loud. Krell, as well as some other amp technicians have stated that as long as the sound is good, don't worry about upgrading any parts. It does sound great, and maybe the lack of heat is due to the fact that this beast was meant to power speakers down to 1 ohm, and views mine as a walk in the park. Would love to hear about this from other Krell owners or those with experience in this area. Thank you.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - Cool running Krell KSA 100 - samman11 10:40:15 10/28/14 (14)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.