Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Primaluna owners - speak up

Well a lot has transpired since my original post on this topic. I did not opt for a Primaluna amp but rather a Decware ZMA. The ZMA has less rated wattage actually than the Primaluna but has a great power supply and crazy caps for really good dynamics. The sound of the ZMA is what I was looking for. I also liked buying from a US company who has lifetime warranties. I'm not knocking Primaluna. They have had great success. It's nice to have choices.

I've learned a great deal about tube amps in general which wasn't hard since I was clueless before this started. A friend of mine on this forum also has the JansZens and he just acquired some Manley mono blocks with about 2.5 times my power and is thrilled with that paring. Even with that extra power that only translates into about 4-5 more dB of volume. The sound of the amp is more important than the output unless you simply don't have enough. I could use more power but I'm in a small room and I don't play as loudly as the system can. The JansZens are quite easy to drive with tube amps.

I also have completely upgraded all the tubes on my Cary SLP-98P to some nice NOS choices. That has proven to be an amazing improvement and has given me a new respect for that preamp.

I also sold off the Magtech amp to a local friend who has some older Gallow speakers and wanted the power. I value sound quality over power. The Magtech, which is the best SS amp I've owned, simply didn't sound nearly as good as the Decware when mated to the JansZens. I'm glad I went to all tubes with these speakers. It seems to work the best.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Primaluna owners - speak up - jsm71 06:46:33 10/24/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.