Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Ever wonder if Pass preamps are as good as the power amps?

I've only owned my one Pass XP10 and pair it with a X250. My prior pre was a close in price Conrad Johnson CT6 but never heard it with the X250, so with that and the X250 no real feel for a difference. Recently I had a chance at a great buy on a Levinson 326s preamp. My friend has this preamp in his Levinson system and I always thought his system sounded good. Of course, he has Salons... I had a chance to audition the 326s in my system. The 326s retails around $10k, the XP10 used to be $5750.00. The 326s sound stage put me further back in the hall which was an immediate check in the "con" column. The 326s had slightly more attack and quieter background but the XP10 had better micro/macro dynamics, more natural sounding, the bass was fuller without giving up detail. It could be system synergy, room etc. but for me, my preference was the XP10 no contest. I was surprised in the outcome and my confidence in the XP10 boasted.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Ever wonder if Pass preamps are as good as the power amps? - Mr Peabody 20:31:41 10/23/14 (19)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.