Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Amp for PSB Alpha B1

Hi All

I've recently bought a set of PSB Alpha B1s and need an amp to power them. This system would be in my living room adnd used for Music as well as Movies.

I've tried the NAD C316Bee - love the combination, the D3020 technically a better performer with a much cleaner sound but it seems underpowered compared to the C316Bee.

The other option is a budget AV Receiver like the Denon S500BT, since most of my sources are HDMI (Apple TV, WD TV Live etc). With a traditional stereo receiver I'd run HDMI into the TV and run optical out into a cheap DAC like a Fiio D3 then RCA into the amp. But the AV Receiver would be easier to manage on the cable front while providing some features (most of which I might not need).

I don't plan on going 5.1, would prefer to stick to 2 channels sinc e my listening space is really small as well.

Is an AV receiver a serious drop off in quality? My heart says to go with the NAD C316bee since the traditional-ness of the system and simplicity appeals to me. However my head says to go with D3020 or an AV Receiver.

What would you suggest?

P.S. my budget isn't fantastic looking at under 500 and lower if possible.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - Amp for PSB Alpha B1 - milesandcoltrane 20:16:46 09/16/14 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.