Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

complicated preamp outpput impedance matching question

Hi all, This is a little more complicated than the usual preamp output impedance to amplifier input impedance matching question.

I have an Aesthetix Calypso preamp. Stereophile measured the ouput impedance at 112 ohms at 1kHz and 3900 ohms at 20HZ for the balanced outputs. I would like to match the preamp with a pair of Pass XA-60.5s. Stereophile measured their input impedance at 17k ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. Pass states the balanced input impedance is 30 kHz.

This appears to be a poor impedance match, but my speakers are Martin Logan Ethos which have a powered woofer which handles the frequencies below 375Hz.

The reason for a proper impedance match between preamp and amp is thin sounding bass if not properly matched. Since the Pass amps would not be powering the Ethos woofer but would be sending the bass signal to the amp in the speaker that would be powering the woofer, would this still result in thin bass?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - complicated preamp outpput impedance matching question - tomcy6 17:26:37 09/11/14 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.