Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

OPINIONS WANTED: Can I really integrate everything?

And one thing leads to another...

I've been pretty satisfied with my current system for a little bit now. It has sound characteristics I enjoy, and it fits the room pretty decently, even though the room isn't amazing. But like any audio nut with a modicum of self respect, I'm looking at what to do next. But this time it might be drastic.

Short version: I'm looking for one piece of kit to do it all, and do it well, and I'm skeptical it exists.

Here's the deal.

I have two sources: one is a nice Pro-ject turntable with an AT440MLa (I'm a fan of a very detailed, analytical sound, and the rest of my setup attenuates any exaggerated brightness - I'm well pleased), and the other is a solid if modest Keces DAC. My listening is about 80/20 toward the turntable. Phono stage is a Hagerman Cornet 2 with the Auricap upgrades commonly recommended, and some incrementally upgraded tubes I don't recall the specifics of. Both the DAC and the Cornet feed a TdP-built EAR 859 integrated amp, which is lovingly conveying 13 comely watts to each of a pair of super-efficient Tekton Pendragons. Cabling is all standard stuff. (I'm not going to wade into the debate; I'll just say that I haven't personally heard differences significant enough to justify lots of money, and I'm not a wealthy guy. This system is the result of lots of saving, lots of generosity by good friends, and lots of astonishing deals.)

So I should be happy, right? Well, here's how my thought process has gone, of late:

1. Hmm, it sure would be nice to have an actual headphone amp instead of a Y from the Cornet's out that shreds my ears pushing straight line level sound...

2. With speakers this efficient, I should be able to peel the paint off the walls every now and then when I get the opportunity, the house to myself, etc. But as sweet as my analog chain sounds, it's just a liiiiittle lean on the dynamics and punch compared with digital, and I know it's not entirely the source.

3. My wife is awesome. And I love her. And she doesn't love the look of all the discrete components. And she's very accomodating and doesn't complain, but boy, I sure do love to make her happy. And if there's something out there that we'd both like...

(Reading in forums, sometimes I feel like the only audio enthusiast on earth who gives a crap about his wife... Just saying. :) )

So all that rambling for this: if I wanted an integrated amp that includes a killer phono stage, a quality headphone amp, and a truly competent onboard DAC, all pushing, say 40+ wpc - if, in an ideal world, it was tube-based and I could have each of these things at the same level of quality I currently have in discrete components - could I make it happen? Does such a thing exist? Am I insane? And a very important follow-up question: would the combined total resale on my components ($2500, conservatively, maybe more) pay for such a wonder?

I call on your expertise. Feedback of all types welcome.

Thanks!

Edits: 08/27/14 08/27/14 08/27/14 08/27/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - OPINIONS WANTED: Can I really integrate everything? - kentwalter@outlook.com 08:45:52 08/27/14 (15)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.