Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

What's a good HT preamp?

Wishing to update components in our dedicated theater room late last year, I did extensive online research looking for an AV preamp. I set my spending limit at about $2,000. After looking at the usual suspects from Marantz, Emotiva, Outlaw, and Onkyo/Integra, I ended up purchasing a leftover (2013 model) Yamaha Aventage RX-A2020 receiver, which has preouts for all channels. Crutchfield reduced the price from $1,700 msrp to $1,000.

I have no idea what the power amp section sounds like, but the preamp section is very smooth, clean, and detailed. It is neutral to slightly warm and completely nonfatiguing. The video section passes through Blu-ray with absolutely no loss in picture quality (viewed from a final-generation Panasonic 65" plasma). Also, it is very well built.

For the front left and right channels it is presently driving a Quad 909 power amp. Initially the Yamaha was used with the system's usual amplifier, an Adcom GFA-5503 MOSFET three-channel amp, which will be reinserted at a later time. I'm having some fun using the Quad, which gets very little use since I disassembled a secondary two-channel system that utilized a Quad 99 preamp and the 909 amp.

Note that my comments above are relative to other AV preamps, which, in my opinion, do not compare well sonically to really good high-end two-channel preamps.

Checking Yamaha's just-introduced 2015 models, their lowest-priced Aventage receiver with full multichannel preouts is the RX-A840, which retails at $900 (Crutchfield has it for $850 with free shipping). A little searching might find you a leftover 2014 model, such as the RX-A2030, at a big discount. Also, Accessories4less.com has a few refurbished Yamaha Aventage receivers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • What's a good HT preamp? - Alex F. 17:06:41 08/19/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.