Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Thanks for all your input!

I would definitely fix the ARC amp even if you decide to go a different direction. Hard to sell a non-working tube amp.
If you prefered your ARC to your SS amps, I would stick with tubes. If you sell the ARC I would consider Rogue Audio tube products. They are reliable, made in the U.S., have tube fuses to prevent the type of resistor melt-downs that occur with ARC amps, can use multiple different output tubes like KT88/6550/KT90/KT120, EL34, KT66, 6L6gc, and provide bias pots for each tube, allowing the use of unmatched {NOS} tubes,and are reasonably priced.
A used Stereo 90 or M150 can often be found under $2k, the new Stereo 100 or M180 are just above your budget.
I have used a Stereo 90 for 5 years now, very reliable and easy to bias, if a tube goes south you just replace the fuse and tube and are back up andrunning in minutes. I would say the sound is similar (but not the same) as ARC, a "modern" tube sound with reasonably tight bass and clean detailed mids and high end with some tube "bloom". Definitely not an overly warm, romantic,tubey presentation.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Thanks for all your input! - Mendel 08:24:58 08/16/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.