Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Volume control settings

All active circuits have more distortion/s and colourations than a good passive device. (re: Nelsons Pass's article in my first post and he sells active pre's))

One way you can figure this out, is if you have a source that is a good low output impedance, say below 1kohm which most are, and feed it direct into your poweramp, which should be the industry standard of 33kohm or higher which most are. This will be the most transparent/dynamic/uncoloured sound you can get.

Put on a known quiet starting CD (with your finger on the stop button just in case) and listen. This is the most transparent/dynamic way of getting the source signal to the poweramp, and I'll bet my last dollar that the well implemented passive volume control comes the closest to this sound or equals it.

The only way an active preamp can sound more dynamic than this is two ways. It is distorting with TIM giving you the impression of more leading edge dynamics or it has a built in dynamic rage enhancer (DBX) which sound like rubbish.

Cheers George

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Volume control settings - georgehifi 19:22:07 07/17/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.