Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

$2000 integrated vs $12,000 separates........

Holy crap batman!

I put the Rogue Cronus Magnum integrated amp back in my system today just for grins.... running KT120 power tubes of course. I spent some critical listening time comparing it against my Ampzilla 2000 2nd Edition monoblocks and Pass Labs XP-10 linestage. All I can say is wow, that little Rogue is one incredible bargain.

Is the Rogue better than my separates? No but are my separates $10,000 better than the Rogue? Hell no! I could easily enjoy the Rogue forever.

While it doesn't have quite the detail or slam as the separates, or the top end extension, the Rogue is a bit warmer and richer sounding and still very dynamic and clean. It's also a bit more robust in the lower mids.

It's one of things where you can swap back and forth and hear differences but is one setup truly that much better than the other? Hardly.

I'd take the little Rogue over my previous Bryston monoblock pair any day. While the Rogue can't quite match my current separates, if I had to I could easily go back to the Rogue full time and be completely satisfied.

How would the audio rags write it up? You've heard it before..... "Hits above it's weight class, acquits itself nicely, didn't shame itself, didn't shit it's pants, didn't wet the carpet, etc. etc." Whatever.

I am still incredibly impressed with the Rogue Cronus Magnum integrated.

It's freezing cold outside. May as well play some music

Comparing Rogue Cronus Magnum tube integrated vs Ampzilla 2000 2nd Edition monoblocks and Pass Labs XP-10 linestage

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - $2000 integrated vs $12,000 separates........ - AbeCollins 13:06:43 12/07/13 (93)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.