Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Is upgrading near "the end" more important than at "the beginning" for a system?

"Or is every veil lifted something like only taking 1/2 step there every time? More logarithmic than linear?"

Actually the "veil analogy" is nearly valueless so it doesn't matter a great deal just how you think of it. Stereos are complex systems with multidimensional difficulties. If you are going to think veils you may as well believe that there is only a single dimension, say THD, that affects audio enjoyment and you're in business. As THD approaches zero, happiness approaches infinity, QED! And of course there IS some correlation, a perfect system would have no THD...

In the real world you fix first the things that bug you the worst and carry on until you're happy. No matter what you do your stereo will never be perfect. From my experience there are perceptual thresholds for imperfections (and I bet they are vary with individuals) below which they don't matter. But...it can be tough sorting them since they may bother you but still not be something that you can put your finger on.

In most optical or audio systems there is seldom a free lunch since improving one parameter may mess up another and even if it doesn't, what's optimum for one user's sensibilities may not be for another's. On top of that we change with age and wear. What matters, the final 'veil' for you at a given time, is the last one that your sub-conscious needs to say "ahhh" and quit fidgeting. That's the magic threshold and audiophiles have a harder time getting there than most folks, hence their willingness to invest large amounts of time, money and effort.

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.