Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: both of you are wrong

"you should think about knowing something before posting something."

My aren't we getting snippety.

Whether or not the Einstein has discrete diodes or an integrated bridge rectifier, who cares?? I do know that it DOES NOT have a tube rectifier and that it uses tubes as channel switches rather than putting another contact in the circuit. Other than that I can tell you its fully balanced.

Not to split hairs here, but one of my best friends has this preamp so I have seen and heard and replaced tubes on it.

Now, if you want to call a tube preamp solid state because it has a solid state power supply, be my guest but that is hardly a conventional approach to classification. There are in fact not too many tube preamps that have an all tube power supply.

You said: "but there's no pretending the Ref3 has dynamics to match a great SS preamp. Two other preamps that I've owned, the Edge NL and the Einstein, both had considerably more force and explosiveness than the Ref3, and both relied on different SS topologies: the Edge used batteries, while the Einstein used dual transformers in a SS circuit biased to class A (along with the gain stage occurring before the volume control)"

Now, what you clearly state there is that the Einstein is a SS circuit biased to class A. Do you mention anything about power supply?? Nope. If you meant power supply then you should have stated it explicitly because it sounds like you mean the acutal amplification circuitry.

For the record, I reviewed a hell of a lot of preamps (for Positive Feedback no less) and I found that for the most part the best sounding preamps had TUBE power supplies. THe two exceptions that I have heard among the best were the Vacuumstate RTP3D and the Einstein. The Vacuumstate was special because they had their own proprietary "superreg" regulator cirucuit that lowered the noise floor to below that of batteries. My own preamp from that time, the Silvaweld SWC-1000, used a 300B tube as a voltage regulator for 4 Western Electric 417A tubes in a fully balanced, transformer coupled circuit. It was also tube rectified. The Einstein was not better than either the Vacuumstate or the Silvaweld but it is in the same class.

I have also heard the Edge preamp with their NL reference monos driving the Nola Pegasus Extreme. Also a good sound...especially for SS.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.