Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Multimeter and biasing amp

I think you mean "Micronta" which is branding that RadioShack used on a lot of their stuff. And based on the "wheel" you mentioned in your post, it is probably an older analog style multimeter with a needle rather than a digital multimetere (DMM).

You didn't mention the brand or model of the amp you are trying to bias. If you are truly needing to measure current in the 230 milli-ampere range, then setting the meter to it's 500ma scale will be just perfect.

However, when biasing many amps, you are not actually measuring current directly but instead measuring voltage across a resistor. In these cases, you will need to set the meter to a Voltage scale rather than a Current scale.

As for calibrating the meter, don't worry about that. I doubt that you own anything to calibrate the meter against. You can only assume that it is somewhat accurate.

I'm guessing that the "wheel" you talk about is for zeroing the meter needle when measuring resistance (Ohms).... and not applicable when measuring Voltage or Current.

If it were me, I would spend some money on an inexpensive digital multimeter (DMM) but if all you have is an analog meter, that will work.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.