Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Capacitor between DC amp and preamp?

"If it's only the woofers that are in danger, considering mine are fused -and it looks like it's a reliable protection- am i safe to go?"

Yes you are! The cool thing is that you have already experienced a worst case failure with little consequence so that should boost your peace of mind no end...

"sudden burst of DC"

"DC" doesn't come in sudden bursts. You can just look with a voltmeter at you woofer terminals with no music playing and see what sort of offset you have. Or look at your woofer cones, are they in the same place with the Amp. on and off? Your amplifier may still have some offset correction built into it even though it's DC coupled. That scheme uses a path outside of the signal to keep the bias point stable. Systemically it does form a zero at DC for very small signals but it's usually thought of as a servo system with very low loop gain that is way way out of the signal band. If your Amp. doesn't use that sort of scheme you will probably see a small offset that will vary as the amplifier warms up.

I used a power amp for many years that deliberately had a small DC offset at it's output as part of the biasing scheme, so the woofer ran a little off center, never caused a problem.

But those are trivial details, having a woofer fuse provides far more protection than a capacitor ever could from any upstream failure. I say forget the capacitor and just enjoy your system!

Regards, Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.