Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Kinergetics KBA-75

Here is some information about this nice amplifier. It is payback for some who have provided info to me. It also touches on some questions I've seen posted here, at 'karma, and at 'gon.

The two RCA jacks on the back panel are for splitting the input signal for bi-amping.

Amplifier itself:
It is a solid-state fixed class-A bias.
There are eleven 200W NPN power transistors per channel, type 2SC3858.
It is direct coupled all the way through. The DC output level is almost zero, as it should be.

The power output was listed at 75 watts per channel into 8 ohms, 150 into 4 ohms. It probably is better than that. That is 18.75 dBW

Power supply:
Toroidal power transformer rated 900 VA.
Capacitors total 40,000 uF.

The original price in late 1989 was $1495

Some hints - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - NEVER OPEN THIS OR ANYTHING ELECTRICAL WITHOUT UNPLUGGING IT. "POWER SWITCH OFF" IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH, UNPLUG IT WHEN ANY COVER IS REMOVED. UNPLUG BEFORE YOU TAKE OUT THE FIRST COVER SCREW!

1) Fuses must be same amperage as labeled, same physical size, and fast blow type. Anything you can't find locally get at digikey.com
2) There are a few fuses inside on the circuit board too
3) It runs hot, that is normal. Gently cleaning dust out of the fan blades every few years may be a good idea. It would probably die if there was a fan problem.
4) Do not run it more than a few seconds with the cover off - just to check that the fan is going. With the cover off the air flow isn't right over the heat sinks. And don't touch anything if you do so, just look.
5) It runs I think in some type of standby mode. So do NOT have it connected to speakers and plug it in to wall with front panel power switch on - transient starting up from cold and not standby can hurt speakers
6) Double check speaker wiring. A short at the speakers could be devastating.
7) Keep back clear - it needs to get the hot air out. In fact, don't have anything around the sides either, though pre-amp on top I think is fine
8) I taped one end of a SINGLE ply of TISSUE paper above the air outlets, such that they blow outward when it is on from the fan. The fan is so quiet (it has series resistors to make it run slower than nominal) that this is a quick visual indicator that cooling air is there.
9) Amazingly enough, 22 years later, I was able to find the exact replacement front panel power switch. Probably because they used quality name brand industrial strength components that still have replacements in stock at some big distributors.

Hope this helps - it is a great piece of equipment.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Kinergetics KBA-75 - dbster@comcast.net 08:37:05 02/07/11 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.