Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Thanks! I grew up listening to SS McIntosh 2100, then...

evolved to GAS Son and Hafler amps, which to my ear, although having some SS sparkle and brightness, overall are warmer amps, particularly the GAS. Because GAS was so clearer than the McIntosh or so I thought, I went the way of these amps, with my old KEF based speakers and also hearing them on Maggies and old Advents, etc. You know how old I am.

I have never had the privilege of hearing or owning a Plinius although I almost pulled the trigger on a 9200 once for just over $2k.

Currently, I use a Roksan Kandy KA 1, Mk III, as you can tell on my profile. It's been described by some as slightly "dark," but not to my ears. It's more neutral and bracingly clean with the highly efficient speakers I use.

Also, I have lived through a whole evolution of amps, cabling, tubes, cd p's, TTs and carts with a pair of Vandersteen 2 Ce Sigs owned by a close friend. He loves warm and smooth. I just find them not very dynamic with his stuff, and not that warm either. He has a REL sub, btw. So again, I don't know.

Your post was very helpful. Thanks again.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.