Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

I am betting that is has to due with repeated thermal cycling

The Lorenz forces are way too weak. However, my theory is theraml cycling. The U-turn end, by the permanent deformation during manufacture, raises the local resistivity. That's why you never see kinked wires not being crimped and/or soldered. This can be a thermal instability. You see, seeing that these local resistivities are small compared to the overall length, any local increase in resistivity doesn't appreciably change the VC's impedance at all. Thus, the current doesn't change, but the local I²×R heating certainly does. I haven't quite determined if pulling away from the thermal insulating Mylar to a lower (cooler) energy state was sufficient to make the bends "banana", or whether the constant maleting by the excurting Mylar significantly helped while the coil is warm. Once delamination starts, the reciprocating Mylar is only pounding in one direction. The only issue is then initiation. There's no doubt that the U-turns have the greatest delaminating tensile force. As the Mylar excurts away from the magnets, it wants to bow, while the VC wants to keep the area it occupies flat. At the tops & bottoms of the VC, the greatest tensile force is distributed at the appex of the U-turns (over the least contact area). As the Mylar excurts toward the magnets, the delaminated pair re-contacts. Now, repeat several trillons of times over a decade...

... just my 2¢

moderate Mart £

Planar Asylum

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I am betting that is has to due with repeated thermal cycling - Mart 01:06:01 05/03/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.