Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Magnepan Voice Coil Repair - A Saga

Here's another approch that has worked very well for me on 3 separate occasions. After the 3m 77 has tacked up (about 20-25 mins.), working quickly, press the wires down, you may need to go back and forth to the ones pressed down first as they try to begin to re-lift. When all are in place, quickly secure them down with a single piece of electrical tape spanning the entire width of the panel so that the tape just barely covers the wires at the point where they bend around. Secure the ends of the tape well out onto the MDF. Now you can lay a weight on top of the tape to hold the wires down securly.Wait about an hour for the 3m to hold securly, and remove the weight. Now apply the moloxaine over the wires and the electrical tape as well, this will form a single high strength unit that will never come loose again. There is almost no movement and no sound produced at the extreem end of the mylar where the wires end, so the tape will have no sonic effect. I have three pairs that I have repaired this way going back over 7 years and have had no further problem with wires lifting at the ends. Good luck and happy listening. Tony

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Magnepan Voice Coil Repair - A Saga - tonyynot 15:01:53 05/02/05 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.