Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Magnepan Magneplanar MG3.5R Speakers

some points from another 3.5 owner (have had them for 9 months now, gone through several amps, wires, tweaks since then)

I have 3.5R's and have blown fuses and even broken a tweeter (probably a mechanical issue not current from the amp). However, the more power I put into amplification, the less often I blew fuses. Since I moved to Odyssey mono blocks, I have not blown a fuse yet. IU assume the most common reason for blown fuses is a clipping amp.

In my case, the size of the sound stage seems to go with speaker placement more than amplifier changes. Even the position of equipment on the rack I have between the speakers is critical. I am about to move the speakers even further off the wall, add some sound DIY sound lenses behind them, just to get rid of the occasional "one sidedness" that was discussed in the forum a few days ago.
Note, I only have a 13" TV and a few smaller components on a steel rack, so there's not really that much stuff that can affect the back wave deflection, but it still seems to matter. HT is not an issue for me - perhaps I'll get a bigger TV once I move the speakers further off the wall, but I'll keep them in the current room. the 2-channel reproduction of movie sound tracks on the 3.5Rs is simply outstanding (that soundstage again!)

I may get a subwoofer one of these days - there's clearly a problem with very low frequencies and the panels (which somebody on the forum confirmed to still be part of the 3.6Rs as well). I'll probably do this subwoofer addition at the same time I move on to active bi-amping to get rid of the external crossover of the 3.5Rs. I expect to find even better sound from the 3.5Rs by going that route, and given the cost of new 3.6Rs or even 20.1s, I think my 3.5Rs with some tweaks will hold up quite well at a much better price/performance ratio

Peter

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.