Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan MG 0.5 QR

Wow, after reading your post's it's obvious you have limited experience in the audio world, good choice to look here........ forget about Jay at YouTube, better still, forget YouTube totally for audio advice.

Lets just run through your questions / remarks.

"I have now a Spectral DMC12 and two valve mono blocks Dynaco Mark III."
The Spectral is a quality pre but due to age you could be looking at issues, you could let More Music(importer) take a look at it to be sure before making decisions. Sell the Dynaco's, not ideal for Maggies.

"My room is also rather small, about 4,5 x 3 meters (15 x 10 feet)."
It's small, but it can work, use the 1/3rd's rule for placement and seating, speaker's placed at the short wall. Diffusion at the front wall and absorption on the back, the 1.6's will be more challenging due to the higher bass output, European(dutch) housing consists of solid (brick, concrete) materials for wall's, floor's + ceiling's which reinforces bass output, your biggest problem will be taming bass in that room.

"So, will I need other amps?"
Yes

"a tube preamp and a solid state power amp?"
No, not necessarily.

"Will I need bigger Maggies for good bass?"
No, the ideal combination of room size with bass output levels is what you need, or do you think 20.7's would have good bass in that room?

"Can I place bigger ones in my small room?"
1.6's are the max in that room.

"We are gonn compair the two sets of speakers."
Don't bother, the 1.6's are superior to the 0.5's.

"we are gonna try a few amps and compair with mine."
In your room I hope?

"The dealer is enthousiast about tubes like Audio Research."
Yes, are'nt they all, especially if they sell them. Not in your budget range.... even used.

"it's great I may try these things"
Nothing great about it, any High-End dealer in Holland will grant you a home trial with whatever you are interested in.

"But what amplification would be the best."
With such a low budget you should be looking for a high quality used integrated or a high quality used stereo amp to match the Spectral.

" I can sell the old amps and one or two thousand dollar is not that a problem at the end of te year.
What is your advice?"
Sell all your amp's, insist on a home trial with the 1.6's, insist that the dealer bring's along a high quality amp, use the set-up as described above. Decide whether the 1'6's work in that room, if so, do your homework, take your time, visit dealers, search for a high quality used amp and take a few home to see if they work with 1.6's in that room.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.