Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: affordable old man system

Thanks for your comments. I won't disagree that the LRS are on the power hungry side. The Willsenton R8 has 25W/cha in triode mode or 45W/cha in ultralinear and I support the bottom end with a Rel Tzero.

My system is in a smaller room, (previous kids bedroom converted to an old man cave), so I'm sure that helps, and I'm am not a listener at loud volume levels, mainly a Jazz listener. I have found the KT88 have richness the LRS work with really well. It can deliver a highly transparent in-the-room presentation where I have not been left wanting for more.

I don't doubt there are better sounding systems than mine using the LRS or LRS+ and higher current sand amps or break the bank big tube amps. I have always been a Maggie fan. In my younger years I owned 3 different sets of Maggies, and have experienced over spending due to the audiophile addiction.

No matter what I listen to I'm addicted to the open panel sound and the move to all foil like in the LRS over the previous use of standard wire is nothing short of amazing. The LRS and other Maggie panels are reaching a level of reproduction I never thought was obtainable without spending so much I'd loose a marriage and starve the kids. :-)

I shared my system because I wanted others to know a true high end result can be obtained without paying an arm and a leg or needing to work multiple jobs to pay for it.

If this was in a larger room I'd agree the LRS would probably want more but after living with the LRS and lower tube power I'd tell people the LRS like power but only need the correct type of power that is needed to fill the room you intend to put them in and in my case the 25W tube watts in triode mode is just glorious to my ears.

I've found that in the end it is the sum of whole system, including room integration, and not just a measure of raw current an amp can push the panels, but again in a larger room you are correct.

I hope to see more people get in to high end, knowing it is obtainable, and not run scared to some home theater solution simply because they got turned off on high end because most manufactures simply charge too high a fee too come and enjoy it.

Thanks again, audio conversation is fun. :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: affordable old man system - OldMaggieFan 06:10:53 02/23/23 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.