Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Survey : whats the best amp you have ever used with a set of Magnepans ?

MG1.6 - Jeff Rowland #5, sweet and smooth
honorable mention: Adcom GFA 555, folks either hate em' or love em'. This was my first amp with the MG1.6's. The audio gods must have blessed me because at the time we were renting a house with a huge evening room. The imaging was spot on, dead center, head positioned exactly were it's supposed to be, no smearing, no Mr 'frylock effect'. It was a bit brite but a pair of Duelund resistors cured that effect. I would most likely NOT use the amp on the true ribbon simply because of that effect.

LRS/Gunned MMG - Emotiva UPA-1, brute strength but refined, the 1K watt mono blocks gets them both going in 4th gear

MG20 - Quicksilver V4 200 watt mono's drove the top end beautifully, while the Emotiva's drove the bottom end like a tank

Current amp(s)

-Pair of PS Audio Stellar M700 Mono Block Amplifiers (700w)
-Halcro MC20 stereo amp (700)

currently running the PS Audio's on my Apogee Duetta's with extremely satisfying sound.
Will then run the Halcro on the same.

Will then run both (bi-amp'ed) on my MG20's most likely around the holidays timeframe.

Edits: 10/22/21 10/23/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Survey : whats the best amp you have ever used with a set of Magnepans ? - Green Lantern 18:45:58 10/22/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.