Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Denon PMA-600NE and MMGs

My main system includes MMGs (from 2003), a Pioneer DV 563A universal player, a Pioneer SW-8MK2 subwoofer, a tuner, and a turntable. I listen mostly to CDs, SACDs, and FM radio. My NAD 3130 integrated amplifier (bought new in 1987; cleaned up by a factory authorized shop in 2003) started to act up, and I replaced it with a Denon PMA-600E integrated amplifier. I bought this amplifier after seeing the review by Steve Guttenberg, in which he claims that it works well with the Magnepan LRS (around minute 3:30 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVEfIcBFfSQ).

My initial impressions are very positive. It is of course very difficult to make comparisons based on memory, but I find excellent balance in my room using the Stereophile 2003 Editor's choice disk. The pink noise is solidly centered without obvious coloration. The chromatic scale track is fairly uniform in level. As before, I can hear the 50Hz band well, but almost nothing below. This amplifier has a subwoofer output, so I used it. (With the NAD, I used the pre-out; the Denon does not have a pre-out.) Adding the Pioneer subwoofer, I get sound from the 40 and 32.5Hz bands; nothing below that, as expected. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I found this small subwoofer to be a very good match for the MMGs, and I expect this to continue.

I also added Chromecast audio, connecting it via RCA cables, and I am waiting for a mini-Toslink to Toslink cable to try the internal DAC of the PMA-600NE. I tried Bluetooth from my cellphone; it works, but I cannot comment further on that.

I paid USD399 for this amplifier at Crutchfield (free shipping, taxes not included). Time will tell whether my impressions will be confirmed, but for now I can recommend this amplifier as a good partner for the MMGs.

Edits: 06/23/20 06/23/20 06/24/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Denon PMA-600NE and MMGs - mgv 14:29:28 06/23/20 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.