Planar Speaker Asylum

maggie SMGa water based repair glue options?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  Email  Next ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

hi all

just got off the phone with the nice folks at magnepan.

i've also been reading up on these new to me speakers. they need /some/repair in the middle of the speaker and modest banana peel repair.

do i need to wait until magnepan can ship me some special glue or should i go ahead and find some kind of water based repair glue? they seem to like the idea of using 3M 77 to tack in place (i guess after removing the spray fix that is underneath) and then using their special glue as best option.

second option seems to be to find a water based glue to use instead of the magnepan glue.

they are not big fans of the contact cement method.

i am ALSO wondering if i really need to take up any of the existing spray fix or if i can use it (still tacky) and simply reglue the wires with some metal shim material temporarily holding it in place until it dries.

for the most part i see minimal 'browning' at the base and tip of the panels (like 2 1/2 - 3 inches). also, if i push the wires back into place they stick pretty well and appear to want to stay at least until they get vibrated a lot.

thoughts?

THANKS

jon

Follow Ups: